Friday, June 13, 2008

Shhhh...I Won't Tell If You Won't

i don't have internet in my apartment so i am using my neighbour's computer and internet. i couldn't take it any longer... i'm itching to write.

so this is the deal. about a month and a half ago my apartment was fumigated. like put all your belongings in plastic bags fumigated. the preparation was a headache but they told me i could go back in after 24 hours. then as they left i received various instructions
  • don't walk on the floor barefoot for at least 30 days.
  • don't mop said floors for at least 30 days.
  • keep clothes in plastic bags for at least 60 days.
  • wash EVERYTHING you own.

so walked back into my apartment after the stipulated 24 hours and was overwhelmed by the confusion i faced. my furniture had been turned upside down and stuck in corners. i thought to myself - thank goodness i don't own a lot of furniture or i really would have been been devastated. i walked around, half-heartedly tried to move a bureau, started sneezing and the left.

over the next couple of weeks, i donned a face mask and entered the apartment and moved furniture back into place, swept floors, and wondered just how poisonous everything was. my eyes would burn and itch and i would get seriously congested. then i would leave. then i took some trips out of town and out of country. i passed through london for all of 24 hours, during which i slept, talked to relatives on the phone and ate nando's chicken. i went to new hampshire for a college graduation. i went to puerto rico to learn how to surf - except it is not surfing season. and, finally, i went to providence for work and went running in the morning using a map that forgot to include the new mall that has blocked off a bunch of roads on my chosen route. i'm sure many drove by me and thought - she's not from around here. i finally got back home last friday and had just enough time to mop (30 days were up!) and tidy up a bit before my new cousin came by for the weekend. oh but i digress.

i got home to NO INTERNET! i called my cable company and they couldn't fix it over the phone - which tends to be my experience everytime something breaks. so i had to set up an appointment for a tech, except the cable company's computers were down. they had to call me back later and when they did all their weekday appointment slots are during times of the day when people are working. i must remember to rant about the absolute inane nature of that business practice. so someoen is coming in on saturday. in the meantime, i am sneaking in and using this machine. because, as i have said before, sometimes you just have to let it out.

shhhh...

2 comments:

Prettylyf said...

Wow! What a time for you. Don't you just hate the way they leave out the most important info? they tell you you can go back in 24hrs but forget to mention you cannot mop in 30 days or unpack in 60days. I'm glad you're well though :) Sounds like you still were up to some good time in the meantime. Hope the cable company figures what's going on pronto.

Have a great weekend :)

dodo said...

So fumigation was apparently a big success- they managed to kill all internet bugs, too... :-)