Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Call Me Crotchety Grandma

There are many newfangled things that I don't understand. I don't get how it is now fashionable for women to wear a leotard sans any kind of bottom (skirt, pants, shorts, anything) and consider that an outfit - I'm looking at you Madonna and Beyonce. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Twitter - I thought tweeting was a thing only little birds did. So, yeah, I'm not the model of modern life and I do get that things change but I hope the world changes its mind about putting the word QUICK out to pasture. How can the English language survive without it? I mean it goes beyond, the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog or a rhyming word for candlestick (as in jack be nimble, jack be quick). It just brings a little colour to a conversation. Fast this, fast that - can't we be quick every once in a while?

And you can do so much with quick - you can be quick, or run quickly; you can quicken your pace lest you sink in quicksand. And, well it just seems like a word full of speed. Maybe I have a bias. Maybe I'm just using the demise of quick as a way to block the painful-like-nails-on-a-blackboard rampant use of the word "good" as an adverb. I mean, people, well is just as short as good - is it too difficult a word to learn?

And for all this grumpy old-lady grumbling, I blame my high school English and Latin teachers for brainwashing me with the rules. I shake my fist at you, Mrs Davidson, you did bad!

8 comments:

Prettylyf said...

I suddenly realized I hadn't been here in a while so I quickly abandoned work for a minute and quickened my pace towards here and quickly read this latest post and now I'm not sure I know what its talking about :(

pandave said...

Oh Prettylyf... i must be more crotchety than i imagined (i wrote this in the morning). i think at times i turn on my radio or television and i am saddened by the demise of creative language (i think that's it) i am spoiled by the awesome blogs i visit and I now have high expectations for the rest of the world :-)

Oscar Grillo said...

Is the term "crotchety" realated to the word "crotch"?


Lovely!!!!...The verification word is "Noche" meaning "night" in Spanish!!

Prettylyf said...

Oh thanks for shedding the light. Now I'm in the know! Now I get it. Yaay!!! I'm to blame not you because on some days like today (been my first day back at work after a long spell of the flu) I've blonde moments and I'm slow to grasp things and people and information LOL

You're awesome and so is your writing, crotchety grams!!! I concur with you people should find the right words to describe different things appropriately :)

Simon said...

Hi, crotchety grandma. ;)

We can do so much with quick, and do so much with time.

With time. we can spend it, lose it, gain it, waste it, save it and so much more. Such a flexible concept, yet we always seem to have so little of it... *wistful sigh*

Carla said...

Is quick no longer in mode? *Sigh* I didn't even realize it. Such a shame. You would love the book "Eats Shoots Leaves."

Oscar Grillo said...

Crotchety Grandma!!!!....There.

dodo said...

Well, there are others who seem to appreciate a good Quick anytime! ;-)