Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Numbers Game


a short while back, i was watching television with hi-def and the news channels were going on about how it was only 60 days until election day. and i said, wow, that means my marathon is even sooner. and hi-def says, yeah about a month sooner. well, i have been following my training schedule, taking it one week at a time but never really thinking too much about how many days left of training i have or how many other numbers are involved in all of this so:

20 - number of miles of my longest run, which i completed last weekend when i had 3 weeks left to go before the marathon. 20 miles is also the furthest i have ever run in my entire life. it is also a shorter distance than the marathon.
19 - the average age of a soldier in the vietnam war. it's a number that is stuck in my head, thanks to paul hardcastle
14 - number of days left until the marathon. that is also 2 weeks. that is also 8 training runs and 4 cross-training sessions.
7 - number of months i shall have spent training when the marathon comes around.
5 - pairs of shoes i have gone through since i began training.
3 - ice baths that i have taken after a long run. yes, that's me, a bath and enough ice to cover my legs, for 20 minutes.
2 - number of feet that are completely shot and as ugly as sin, due to the thorough beating they have taken over the last 6 and a half months. my apologies to them. 2 is also the number of knees that have miraculously supported me thus far. my greatest gratitude to them.

26.2 - miles that i am to run in chicago, in order to complete the marathon.
42.195 - for the metric, kilometres that i am to run in chicago. my mother's farm is 20 km out of town and i used to be able to take a nap when we drove from the farm into town - that is less than half the distance of the marathon. just so my mom

1 - post race speech i wish i could give, so i could thank the many many people who have supported and encouraged me. so i could thank the random strangers in the park and at the running track who gave me the thumbs up, wished me well and urged me to "keep going, you're looking good" when i was about to give up. to my aunt who was impressed even when i ran just 3 miles. to hi-def who complimented me endlessly, calling me a "beast" and a "machine" and, seriously, what more could a girl ask for? to my mom who told me i could do it and i know she's not lying to be kind because she has always laughed at my art. oh i could go on but i am pretty sure they are going to give that speech time to the marathon winners.

but, you know, i could always sneak up, tackle the news guy and grab the mic. i'm sure i'll get at least a thank you or two out before they catch me.

8 comments:

fb said...

Congrats so far and I look forward to hearing about it soon!

There's a book on running out by Murakami should you fel inclined to read about it too!

Prettylyf said...

Congratulations and good luck on the marathon. 26.2 miles? kudos!!!

Prettylyf said...

Hey, It's me again :) I just gave you an award on my blog, check it out!!!

tjidzani said...

Hey! I wish I could be there to watch you! I am loving being a supporter! Nuff respect to runners!

Carla said...

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fabulously well...you've already come so far.

pandave said...

thank you fb!
i am going to look for that book.

thanks prettylyf. yep 26.2 miles. i giggle hysterically at that thought. but, really, what better way to see chicago? I'm off to check out my award.

thanks tjidzani!! i wish you could be there too! i am sure you appreciate how much the support means to the runner. when one is running out of steam, it's a great boost. hahah! next time maybe you'll be running too!!

thank you much, carla! i am exctied and scared at the same time. my emotions really know how to multitask!

dodo said...

So, four days to go! I' ll be thinking of you- good luck and take care!

pandave said...

thank you so much dodos. i'll be thinking about all the support you are sending me. it makes all the difference.