Monday, November 24, 2008

Milestones

so this is apparently my 301st post! WOO HOO!!

but that was off the subject. it was my birthday on saturday. and it wasn't thanksgiving weekend so people were actually able to make it to the celebration. so i really had a birthday party on my birthday. with cake and ice cream and i'll tell you this - cake and ice cream never get old and are never overrated. it reminded me of another birthday party i had many many moons ago, i must have been about 9 or 10 and my little sister was 5 or 6. we were so excited and could barely sleep for the week before.

at that time in my youth, my sister and i had dreams of becoming famous musicians in our future. my father had us taking recorder lessons and we didn't watch enough tv to realise that recorders have not been mainstream pop instruments for a while now. and we spent lots of time singing along to all kinds of songs - sometimes even harmonising!

we decided that it was time to show the world - at least the part that was coming to the birthday party - that we were poised for greatness. we would write and sing a birthday song:

the sun is shining
the sky is blue
we're here to welcome
a girl who's new
'cause it's her birthday
bum-bum bah-bum-bum bum-bum
yes, her birthday
bum-bum bah-bum-bum bum-bum

we practised and we were psyched. until saturday when we woke up to seriously overcast skies. what now? well, if we were going to be stars, nothing could stand in our way. we regrouped and came up with contingency lyrics:

the sun ain't shining
the sky is grey
but it's okay
it's still a wonderful day
'cause it's her birthday
bum-bum bah-bum-bum bum-bum
yes, her birthday
bum-bum bah-bum-bum bum-bum

i can't remember how the song was received but i do know that my sister and i still share music - even though she always insists that i am flat. but that's okay:
'cause it's my birthday
bum-bum bah-bum-bum bum-bum
yes, my birthday
bum-bum bah-bum-bum bum-bum

3 comments:

dodo said...

All the best! And if you really want to become a famous singer, well, there is still time, go for it ;-)

Carla said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday. And that's too funny about the recorders and song. I bet you guys were great!

Prettylyf said...

LOL how creative and innocent of little girls!! I actually like the songs both. And what enthusiasm even after waking up to a gloomy day you were brave enough to regroup and follow through with the initial plan. Now that is how dreams come true :)

Glad you had a happy birthday. With lots of cake & ice cream