Friday, November 06, 2009

Where's My Cape?

so i have been going at a manic pace the last few weeks. i have been taking on more than i can chew and swallowing without bothering to try to chew. i have been constantly exhausted, with a barely functioning brain, and marvelling at how well i am getting the impossible done.

then yesterday my superwoman cape was yanked off my shoulders without ceremony. around lunchtime i started to feel cold... really cold. like cold in my spine cold. i pulled on my sweater and wrapped a scarf around my shoulders. yet, i continued to shiver and shake at my desk (at work) and focused my energy on making it through to the end of the day. i tried tea, but my body still hurt and the cold would not go away.

by the time i got home, my body and face felt hot but my hands were frozen - doesn't it suck that apparently nothing can stop my cold hands from being cold? i crawled onto the couch, under two blankets with a hot mug of honey-water and some vitamin c. hi def came home and took my temperature - 101 F (which apparently confirmed that i had a fever). he forced me to drink even more water and take some ibuprofen for the aches. feeling very sorry for myself, and whining all the way, i dragged my creaking bones into bed and fell asleep. i woke up in the dead of night, soaked in sweat and feeling quite yuck.

this morning, the sun woke me and i stretched. no pain, no creaks! well no more than the usual. i felt human again and ready to face the world. now the challenge is to resist the temptation to reach for the cape.

5 comments:

Carla said...

When I saw the title, I was going to make a joke...but hearing that you're ill, I am now hoping that you feel better really soon. No fun having the flu.

gishungwa said...

was worried for a minute there but am glad you are well now and that you had someone to call on.

pandave said...

Carla - Jokes can always be made. Plus, I think I had some 24-hour faux-flu thingy brought on by insane exhaustion. I was up and about in no time, and barely down for the count.

Thanks Gishungwa. I think having someone there actually forced me to take the time to feel better before doing anything else.

Oscar Grillo said...

Cape Town...........

Prettylyf said...

So glad you feel better. I missed reading you. Life has been busy.