Friday, June 03, 2011

Celebrate Marmalade!

my sister and her friends went through a phase where they declared that every day they would use a word with at least as many syllables as marmalade in their conversations.  whenever this happened, the others would nod in approval and declare, "marmalade!" 

today i woke up to a new word - cymotrichous.  this is a word, so obscure, my spell-checker has underlined it and suggested that perhaps i wished to say meretricious or polymorphous or maybe even dichotomous.  so now, even though my hair is not cymotrichous being, instead, a probably obnoxious person, wearing meretricious jewellery, at a dinner party may refer to it as ulotrichous.  i would then realise that, after several hours of a polymorphous evening, the room had become dichotomous and i was standing on the wrong side.

i would then shift over to the meat and potatoes, no-thesaurus-needed section and grab a cocktail.  because sometimes you tire of marmalade and just want a little jam.

2 comments:

dodo said...

This was really funny!

And thanks to my Greek heritage, i didn't need the dictionary :-))

pandave said...

Thanks Dodo! I think I may need some lessons in Greek so that I can expand my marmalade collection ;-)