Sunday, January 13, 2013

The More Things Change...

A few weeks ago I went out to dinner with some friends and somehow, talk of Zimbabwean handmade paper came up. Hidef had many questions about it and wondered if he could print some of his photos on this paper (he is always on the lookout for new media for his images). I told him that I was sure that I had some of this paper at home - it may the the rule that any self-respecting Zimbabwean worth their salt must own some Zimbabwean handmade paper.

After searching the bookshelf, I found a notebook that, according to the first entry, I received as a gift on 23 December 1998. I made the entry at 7:54 PM. I am not sure why I made a note of that but it seemed important at the time. Judging also, from the entries, even back then I was not a daily journal writer.  Back then on as the year closed out I wrote down some "Proposed Resolutions"

  • Get Fit - get a flat tummy (I still try to get fit, mostly so that I can finish well the races that I now run)
  • Get a great new job
  • Get a company car (A very Zimbabwean concept. No longer a thing here in NYC)
  • Get organised - get focused. (Always a work in progress though, in many ways, I think I'm better. Then again it may just be what I tell myself in order to get by)
  • Carpe Diem! (Still a philosophy I try to follow)
  • Get a better flat (I think I wanted a garden. I still do)
  • Have fun (YES YES YES!)
On later days in January 1999, I did also add that I must "learn to be not so tired so I can meditate without falling asleep". I read this out to hidef who tells me that the one thing I don't do well is relax, and he laughed and laughed and laughed. I do try though - I now have an official bedtime and that is a step in the right direction. I don't always get to bed on time but at least I have a goal that I strive toward attaining.

I think the analysis of the proposed resolutions and what happened is that, at the Pandave Resolution Board Meeting, I decided to focus on "Carpe Diem" and have fun and let the rest look out for itself. I mean, really, if you aren't enjoying your life and making the most of it, what are you doing??

2 comments:

Prettylyf said...

I like how despite your list been old most of those things are fulfilled in one way or another :)

tjidzani said...

Seriously!!! @"I mean, really, if you aren't enjoying your life and making the most of it, what are you doing??"

I recently re-discovered that the essence of who we are will never change even if the outside is dynamic and ever-changing.