Thursday, April 19, 2007

First Home


so, in 1980 we moved to zimbabwe. after independence (april 18, yay!). that's all it took for my parents to be able to go home. i mean, they could have gone back to zimbabwe before then but apparently "at your own risk" back then meant jail or death, not maybe you'll get food poisoning from the water (but that could be a tale like i used to walk 10 miles to school everyday, with no shoes!). anyhoo... they dropped us kids over here (for about six months, while they got themselves jobs and a place to live) where my maternal grandparents lived. first, we drove down the road past the huge pink house (it's still pink) and then right at the corner, this was the first glimpse we saw of the house.

as you sit at the gate waiting for it to open (they got my grandmother an electric gate after she got into an altercation with some guy who was trying to steal her bag. she said she couldn't let him take her bag cos he had no business with her important papers). i tell you folks, i have no idea how the green thumb gene totally skipped me.

so, in my grandma's backyard is this tap. i think it is used for watering the garden but when i was a lot younger there used to be little puddles around this tap that we used to play in sometimes. barefoot. and one day as i mini-splashed in those puddles i found myself suddenly sitting on the grass, holding my foot and screaming in pain.

i had been stung by a bee and it turns out i was quite allergic. my foot was so swollen i missed a few days of school and in the 2nd grade one actually wants to go to school so it was a tragedy.

but you know from tragedy sometimes comes learning. one thing i have never done again - stomped in those mini-puddles - barefoot or no.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely (though painful) story, Pandave. Ther's a lesson for us all there. :)

And great photos.

Eric said...

I just read a Time article on Zimbabwe that made it sound slightly worse than Iraq. Forgive me, but is your family rich or something? Those photos look more like Florida than the Time ones.

Mr. Shife said...

First off thanks for stopping by my blog. And I can honestly say this is the first blog I have visited where someone lived in Zimbabwe. It is a nice story; thanks for sharing.

pandave said...

thanks winters! i needed that. i was just thinking how totally amateur my photos are. i am smiling now.

eric, i too read the time article. i will tell you what is a lot worse than iraq in zimbabwe - inflation. you think you can imagine it and then you live it and realise that it defies imagination.

nah, my family is not rich - or they know how to keep a good secret and not fund many vacations home. just regular middle of the road kinda folk. some parts of zimbabwe are amazingly beautiful, other parts are boringly suburban and other parts are... interesting.

and then everything looks better surrounded by green grass.

mr shife - you made me laugh so hard! thank YOU!

dodo said...

Careful next time! ;-)