Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Yeah, I Wouldn't Believe Me Either...

so the night before last i staggered into my apartment at about 9:30 pm (catching up after a vacation is no fun, i tell you). i walk down my long hallway (the one that gives the illusion to new visitors that my apartment is massive) and into my living room. i notice what looks like little strips of yellow paper on the floor near the table. hmm? my semi-comatose brain thinks. what was i doing with yellow paper? well, i have been unpacking maybe that has something to do with it.

i walk into my bedroom to drop my bags and notice my tin of cashew nuts on the window sill (i could have sworn i left them on the table) and the window is open about 10cm (is that 4 inches?). on its side (did the wind blow it over), almost empty (did i eat them all) and open (how did that happen?) the window is not quite open enough for the tin to have rolled out. i pick it up and, yes, i smell the tin. too much damn crime television. what answers do i hope to get from smelling a tin of cashew nuts? but it is then i get the epiphany and the cold shiver down my spine. i step back from the window in fear, tin still in hand. i look down and see the shredded former lid of the cashew nut tin. i had a visitor. oh my goodness - a squirrel*! is it still in here? i run and jump onto the couch - feet off the floor. i stare at the tin that has tiny bite marks around its mouth. i have absolutely no idea what i will do if there is a squirrel trapped in my apartment, unsure how to get out, but i am pretty convinced it involves heart attacks and much screaming (from the both of us).

i wait for my heartbeat to slow a little and then i gingerly get off the couch and go into the spare bedroom. more plastic (now i know it's plastic, not paper) shards on the floor. that squirrel really did the tour of my apartment. i close the windows and barely sleep a wink - visions of a squirrel jumping on me in the dead of night keep waking me up.

*okay... how did i know it was a squirrel? well, in the past i had a squirrel that would come and scratch at the window while i was sitting at the computer. i told my roommate and she looked at me like i was crazy. apparently squirrels are not interested in getting into people's homes. unless it is a new york squirrel, full of attitude and a craving for cashew nuts.

5 comments:

dodo said...

I never had a squirrel as a pet. :-)))

pandave said...

lol! maybe next time i try to catch it and send it to you. just make sure you have cashew nuts!

fb said...

bxvwawWhat an imagination! ;)

It was Bex trying to freak you out! ;)

I'm enjoying seeing the pictures from your trip and the memories that it evokes in you.

Eric said...

Which is worse NY rats, or NY squirrels? NY roaches?

pandave said...

fb, don't encourage me... i could go on about zimbabwe until my fingers cramped up ;)

rats definitely. i ain't afraid of no roach - not even the supersized ones we have here. and though outside i am ok with the squirrels, i am not sure i could handle one in the house. so it goes rats (those things RULE the city), squirrels and then roaches.

can you tell that i have given this some thought on previous occasions?