Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Please Drive Slow, Dust Kills Our Trees


my mother knows just how to make my day. i was on holiday in zimbabwe last year and she looked over at me and said "i'm going over to ian smith's farm, do you want to come?"
she didn't have to ask me twice. i packed my camera and we set off. it wasn't a farm. it was a small town. and, for me, this sign said it all.

i have all kinds of feelings about ian smith and the history of rhodesia in general. but at the end of the day i thought to myself - this is history. this is the past and my feelings were somehow made more real because of where i was. and looking around the magnificence that was like a small town or, in some places, a country, i was a bit overwhelmed. but i took pictures. and my mother got a ram.

2 comments:

Cover Girl of Doom said...

just recently i saw a woman on the 5 train that was the spitting image of your mum.
she even smiled at me like she knew me. but i outsmarted her and myself. i said rumbi would have mentioned somthing about her moms coming to the bronx...

Prettylyf said...

Good way to put it. It's history anyway. Still history influenced the present, no?