Wednesday, July 29, 2009

AbraCa-Luv-Ya

This morning I stepped on the train, on my way to work. I noticed behind me, as I stood, some whimpering. I glanced backwards and there she was, a cute little girl, maybe three years old, sitting on her father's lap. I turned back and carried on with my half-asleep-on-my-way-to-work stance. But the volume increased, gradually. Then came the almighty holler and all bets were off. She was full out of control crying. I looked over again and now her face was red, her mouth a cavern, with what looked like a wad of gum, balanced on her tongue. She squirmed in her uncomfortable-looking father's lap, as he whispered to her ineffectually, trying to calm her down.

I looked away - I didn't want to make him feel any worse than he obviously did. He should be concerning himself with what was bothering her, not with the curious staring masses sharing the subway car with him. Then, suddenly, silence. What happened? I looked back and noticed that there was a sister, perhaps a year older, sitting in a stroller. She had reached over and grabbed her little sister's hand and was yanking on it, getting her sister's attention. The formerly crying girl was now sniffing as she stared at her older sister. The older sister, then started stroking the little girl's arm, wiped her tears away and spoke magic words that got the little girl smiling. I too smiled and wondered if I had done the same for my little sister.

I DOUBT IT!
I probably would have leaned over and threatened to pinch her. She would have screamed, "dad! pandave is trying to pinch me!"
my father would have said, "Pandave!" in a threatening tone. I would have protested, "but, but."
"No buts, you're the older sister. Come on."
I would have folded my arms in a big sulk. My sister would have smiled triumphantly.
So, mission accomplished, no more tears...
Right?

4 comments:

Carla said...

I love how you make a simple event sound so beautiful. Crying kid, subway, I had no idea that could be a story.

dodo said...

A sweet image- i loved the title, too!

Oscar Grillo said...

Beutifully observed sketch...You write SOOO WEEEELLL!!

pandave said...

Oh, Carla, thank you. Initially, it really was just a regular morning and then suddenly it was special.

Thank you Dodo, you should have seen those cute girls! If only I could draw...

Oscar, I blush with pleasure. Thank you!