Thursday, July 02, 2009

Food? Ick!!


So, while I was working on developing my body scars, I did a spot of reading. One book I read is called "The Eater's Manifesto", where we are instructed to "eat food. not too much. mostly vegetables." Despite the simplicity of the statement, it was a dense read which was both informative and a little unsettling.

A few days later, I received an email inviting me to a jazz performance by a friend. The invitation included a rebuke to "Monsanto". Recognising the name from the Manifesto, I queried 'What do you have so strongly against Big Food?' In response, the friend sent me a link to a "The World According to Monsanto", a documentary about Monsanto's control over the world's agricultural industry. All I can say is that, it is never a good thing when a chemical company is in charge of your food. After watching the documentary, I was afraid to enter my kitchen. What evil lurked in there? What had allowed into my home - genetically modified, growth-hormoned, maybe even cloned (industry doesn't want to have to label it because they are afraid we might not want it if we knew)?

I needed a break!

I stepped over to the TV and slipped in a DVD of a televised version of my favourite radio show, "This American Life". The theme of the episode was "Pandora's Box" and the crew went to a pig factory (at this point, it can no longer be called a farm). At this factory, the start with a super-ultra-hyper bred pig, give it steroids, disguised as nutrition and, presto!, six months later they have a 300 lb, incredibly nervous hulk of meat. 300 pounds. It sounds like a big number, but let me put it in perspective. One of the many things that my sister does on the farm is raise pigs. So, I gave her a call and asked her all sorts of questions, including, 'how big your pigs get?'
She responds, rather pleased that I am finally really fascinated by her work, 'A good size is about 60 kg." Now, my conversion skills are not the best, but I believe that 60kg is about 140lbs. Let's put those numbers next to each other. 300 pounds. 140 pounds.
And remember - Nervous.
Nervous? Why so, you may wonder. Well, turns out that the massive pigs spend their lives in little pens, being stuffed full of some grower mix that makes them a bit nervouse. Then, one day, six months into their tiny world lives, they are ushered out of their pens to take the longest walk of their lives - to the truck that will take them to slaughter. Though the farmers try to keep them calm, these pigs get worked up pretty easily and, sometimes, this maybe 50 metre walk is too much for the pig. Its muscles seize up and it dies on route to the abattoir.

Yeah, so much for that break.

But, I was on a roll. So, why stop now? I'm no quitter! So, last weekend I watched "Food, Inc." another documentary about Big Food that brought together the flora and fauna of the business. I learnt several things, three of these things being:
  • There is corn in everything, even diapers
  • Chicken is grown in half the time and to twice the size
  • They feed animals the darndest things

Since watching all of this I have flashbacks, like - what? why would anyone use ammonia in the processing of meat? or, How does cookie dough end up with E.coli?

At the end of the day I wonder - why does it take so much effort to make sure that what you eat is actually food?

6 comments:

dodo said...

Suddenly i lost my appetite... :-(

tjidzani said...

Ewe, no wonder some of the diseases rampant in the Western world are ones I never even heard of, growing up in pristine Africa!

Oscar Grillo said...

Linda McCartney would be proud of you.

Carla said...

I think Monsanto is the Antichrist. And yep, you have to be so careful about what you eat.

pandave said...

Dodo, I can see how that could happen.

Yep Tjidzani. We mess with nature; can we be surprised when things go wrong? One just has to ask questions before we swallow.

Oscar, maybe until she saw my full English breakfast. I say yes to sausage and bacon!

Carla, I am so with you. Antichrist. Anti many things. It is not fun that we have to mistrust food. FOOD! Sheesh!

Kristi Tencarre said...

girl, I found a perfect poem topic for you to write! It's a challenge from this blogger and I think you'll enjoy her site: http://soulaperture.blogspot.com/2009/07/so-simple-wednesday.html and she wants us to write about the simple things. I'm in. R U??? :-)