Tuesday, June 30, 2009

On My Street Corner


He's been there as long as I have been there.  He was there before I was there.  I assumed.
Every day he works at the store at the end of my block.  Tirelessly, he opens the store, he is there all day and then he closes it.  Sometimes I see him cycling up the street, on his way to work.  For thirty years he has been doing that.  For nine years I have been a witness.

We chatted and one holiday he cried as he told me how he missed his wife, who was no longer alive.  He was not looking forward to going home to an empty house; so we talked a little.  And by we, I mean the neighbourhood.  In the morning as I walked by and wished him a good morning, he would hold my hands and kiss my cheek.  He didn't mind if I was super-sweaty from a run, I was never too gross for him.  Or maybe he was just too polite to say.  Or maybe he just knew how he lifted my spirits and how he made me smile.

Sadly, we lost him on Saturday.  He was in an accident as he cycled on Saturday.  He was a part of my neighbourhood.  He was there before I was there.  He would be there after I was there.  I assumed.

6 comments:

Oscar Grillo said...

Touching.

El editor said...

As a relief, one can think that perhaps Bruno unconsciously was looking for a quick cease.
Very moving...
and I´m pretty sure that you are a nice sister soul Pandave.

dodo said...

A moving piece; farewell, Bruno...

pandave said...

Thank you, Oscar. He touched me.

I hope so El Editor. That is all one can hope.

Yes, Dodo, Farewell Bruno. He is missed already.

Kristi Tencarre said...

what a sweet eulogy. I am so sad for the neighbourhood, but maybe it's better for him to be with his wife now? On a brighter note, I'm glad you had the chance to meet him. "we met as strangers and left as friends."

pandave said...

That is a lovely thought, Kristi. I shall tell that to my neighbour downstairs who was looking so sad today. They were good friends.