Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Excuse Me, You're Who From Where?

My attention was caught by the news story on the Air France plane. The TV blared - plane disappears while en route to France. Of course I had to stop. How can a plane go missing? In this day and age and nowhere near the Bermuda Triangle? For all the puzzlement I feel and for all the updates on television since the story first broke, I have no answers. It feels like an episode of the Twilight Zone gone tragically wrong.

Then, last night I tune into CNN and my future best friend, Anderson Cooper, declares - coming up, a plane disappears while flying from Brazil to France, along with all its passengers which included 2 Americans. He proceeded to flash a photo of the, apparently, only two passengers on the plane worth reporting on and I had an Animal Farm moment - All Animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Funny how a book I read what feels like several lifetimes ago can pop into my head and make me feel so sad.

Well, one can only hope that the plane, and all it's passengers, might have decided to take a break on an island because the pilot is a huge fan of Lord of the Flies.

4 comments:

Carla said...

You wondered the exact same thing as I...no where near the Bermuda triangle. Just how does that happen? I too read both those stories another lifetime ago. Sometimes I feel ancient.

Oscar Grillo said...

There were people of 63 nationalities in the plane. In every newspaper I've read in the internet they talk about people of their own country as the only victims. Uncanny!!!!!!

dodo said...

Sad...

pandave said...

I feel ancient more often than I care to admit, Carla.

It's quite amazing Oscar, when did we decide there was a hierarchy of souls?

Dodo, it is tragic. Quite tragic.