Saturday, November 10, 2007

You Know Those Three Monkeys...

enough already cnn! what are you trying to do? get me all down with your "news"? i mean i settle down with my popcorn and seltzer water ready to be entertained with dog the bounty hunter's declarations that he wants to be buried with washington's slaves as reparations for using the n-word and instead you serve me with footage of an ambush that left several soldiers in iraq. i could have gotten past the footage of the ambush which looked like some collection of shooting stars, but then cnn had to go and make it all real by having us meet survivors and families and hear their stories. cnn had me crying on my couch, shouting at my mother - but he was only twenty years old!
what's up with that cnn? have you forgotten the 'tainment' in edutainment? how am i supposed to get my holiday buzz on when you're showing me action in emergency centers in iraq? how am i supposed to not waste time trying to make sense of the politics of war when you are showing me toddlers with gunshot wounds to the head? how am i supposed to focus on which celebrity is pregnant and not telling when you are filling my screen with pain and suffering?

oh yes, veterans day weekend. so come tuesday we'll go back to the way things should be. there is an old adage, something like, if a man falls in the desert and no one is there to see him, does it really matter?

or something like that.

No comments: