Friday, August 22, 2008

August 21st

when i was around 12 or 13, the biggest expression of me becoming a grown up was going to the movies without my family. an outing of us grown girls - how adult of us. and my day as an almost grown up would go like this:

i would wake up at the crack of dawn and get dressed, pack a book and get ready. i would then meet my father in the kitchen for a quick breakfast. we would then get in the car and head to his office. this was so that i wouldn't have to worry about getting public transport into town. "my dear, i think it will just be easier. don't you agree?" and i would agree, partly because it was exciting for me to spend some time with my father where i wasn't fighting with my brother and sister for his attention.

i would sit in a corner and read the book. i would feel special when he passed me an official document to read and opine on. ask me if i understood. darned if i know but you know i tried very hard to come up with an intelligent response. my father would engage me in conversation and act as though he was seriously taking my opinions under advisement.

close to movie time, he would put on his jacket and say, "okay, my dear, let's go. we don't want to be late." the movie theatre was just a couple of blocks from his offices, but he would walk me over, buy my ticket and hand me over some money for popcorn and other snacks. sometimes my friends hadn't arrived yet - my father was all about being early - and so he would hang about a bit. "i don't want you to be alone."
"i'll be okay, i can take care of myself."
"Ah, Miss P." he smiled at me, as though he knew i was happy that he stuck around.
when my friends appeared, he would boom out (he could have an awfully loud voice).
"okay, my dear, i'll see you after the movie!" and then he would lean down and smack a loud kiss on my lips mmmmwah! yes. with sound effects. and then he would leave, and i would stare at the ground for a minute or two, completely embarrassed. whose father did that in front of their cool friends?
and you know that after the movie, he would be waiting outside for me, ready to take me home. i would act nonchalant as i said goodbye to my friends. my father wouldn't care what i was trying to be, he would sling his arm casually around my shoulder so we could walk to the car. i would try to roll my eyes and pretend that i was too grown for my father's attention but i really was happy to see him and couldn't wait to tell him about the outing.

so, thank you baba, for making it way cool for me to be uncool.

4 comments:

Prettylyf said...

Oh the love and affection of a father is so moving!!!

Carla said...

What a wonderful story. You father sounds like he was a truly wonderful man.

pandave said...

yes indeed prettylyf, and the love and affection of a father make for many many tales!

thanks carla. he was indeed and, in some ways, continues to be.

gishungwa said...

The effects that Dads have on their daughters. You dad sounds like a great man.