Wednesday, August 06, 2008

She Works Hard For The Money


so you get to my building and open a locked door, pass the mailboxes and then get to the above. it used to be a door with a lock and a knob and everything. now it is just a swinging slab of wood with a rather jagged hole in the middle. a while ago the landlord just couldn't seem to get the lock right. sometimes you would turn your key in the lock and nothing would happen. sometimes the lock would stick and the door would be stuck on unlocked. then there were the days the doorknob would come off. a couple of weeks ago i found myself trapped in the building because someone had thought it would be smart to put the doorknob on the other side of the locked door. one evening i came home and thought it was interesting how the wood of the door was chipped away and i could see the inner workings of the lock and its cylinders. it was like some kind of science class - the biology of the lock. i went out for a run and came back to the gaping hole you see above. when leaving the building, you have to stick your hand through the hole and, at the risk of getting splinters in your hand, pull the door open. as i do this i think to myself, if i told anyone right now how much i pay to live here, they'd think i had lost my mind or i was straight up lying. and while we're looking at it; who thought that colour was a nice colour to paint a door, to paint anything?

yesterday i dragged myself over to my building's management office to hand over my rent. it is never a happy moment -one moment i have money in the bank, the next it's gone and i still have a swinging piece of wood with the hole in the middle.

3 comments:

fb said...

I thought that was a break in you were showing us.

There's a landlord who can't admit defeat and call a professional in!

I guess the door's that colour because:

1) That colour is the cheapest.
2) It doesn't show the dirt.
3) It's meant to detract from the HOLE in the door!

So do you have to wear a glove now to reach in!

I do hope you get to go to the museum in Long Island and tell me all about it, its now put a visit to New York back on my sometime/not sure when agenda.

Prettylyf said...

Wow..what a gaping hole?! Hope you called your manager out on it. I'm seriously sick and tired of sending texts/e-mails and leaving vm's for my manager in regard to the house hehe but what to do until I can afford my own place right. So I came home the other night after a long day (Monday of all long days) to find the house flooded with water from a broken washer in the washer/dryer room. When I informed her she said she wasn't liable and she could only advice me to get renter's insurance. What?! I want out but then again looking for a new place is such a pain and then the moving, the moving is such a hassle and not to mention I just barely finished unpacking this past weekend and I moved 2 months ago. Grrhh.

Have a day full of pretty doors and functional knobs lol

TGIF!!!

pandave said...

hahaha! fb! yeah, sometimes i barely notice the hole because i'm thinking - what a gross colour. who even sells that paint?

well you do know that the american dollar is so weak now, i take language lessons by taking a walk at lunch and eavesdropping.

oh prettylyf! that just sounds horrid! that said, landlords are NEVER honest about the law. and don't even refer to your lease - find out the law and you may discover that the landlord/lady is responsible. my friends and i have been there MANY times.
our super is so ditzy, lord only knows how long it will take for him to figure the door out.

TGIF for real!