Friday, May 04, 2007

Keeping You Occupied

so, due to my parents' nomadic lifestyle in my youth, i went to 4 different schools in about 2 years. school number 3 was in gweru, zimbabwe and i was in the second grade. apparently birds are very popular in gweru because we studied them at school and my grandfather had a book on them and they taught me so hard there are things stuck in my head forever.
the grey lourie - aka the go away bird - which warns when disturbed something that sounds like "Go Away". whenever i heard it, i used to look around for potential hunters - yes, even in the suburbs...
the coo of the doves that used to wake me up every morning. the way i wanted to stone them on some cold, indecently-early winter mornings.
and the weaver birds, that had a thing for the palm trees at my grandma's house (yes palm trees. i think whoever founded that city got palm tree seeds on discount)
for about a year after that, i used to go on nature walks and try to identify the birds and their calls and see if i could tell the difference between the males and the females. didn't work out so well. apparently i don't walk so quietly and somehow that affects one's ability to see birds.

eons later i am back at my grandma's and, yeah, the weavers still love her palms...

2 comments:

Mr. Shife said...

I guess you don't see too many of those birds in NYC.

Kristi Tencarre said...

i love the way you write. sarcastic realism with humour. it's great.