Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Until I Run New York...

alright folks, sunday i'll be in cincinnati attempting to run my second half marathon. yeah, i know it's not a marathon... yet, but its still 13.1 miles. a little over 21km. a bloody long run, whether you are metric or not. and this morning as i laboured through my 5km run, i had ample time to ruminate over the still unanswered question. why the heck am i doing this i want to run a marathon thing? possible answers:
  1. i am teaching my knees a lesson. they thought they were clever giving out on me during my basketball days, but i'll show them clever!
  2. i believe that the running will strengthen my knees. the old adage is what doesn't kill you makes you stronger so... yeah, they'll die or get stronger as i pound them against pavement, tarmac or beaten dirt path.
  3. i love trying to figure out what i have forgotten to do when 3 long blocks away from my house - sunscreen? asthma inhaler? hydrocortisone for the hives?
  4. i dream of being that person that overtakes me just when i think i have hit a pretty good pace. well usually i dream of tripping up that person but i am sure i want to be him/her underneath it all.
  5. i want to find out if the horror stories are true - will i really lose a toenail or two during a particularly long run? will my feet bleed from the friction?
  6. is there such a thing as a runner's high and if i am on it will i not feel the pain of bleeding or lost extremities?
  7. this is like therapy - after the run all tension, anger and stress will have melted from my body.
  8. the medals make me feel like i am at the olympics.
  9. what better way to see new cities than limping and dehydrated?
  10. i live for the day where they take a post race photo that i can actually share proudly with the world

i figured it was easier to spend my time psyching myself up for the long trek up the stairs in my building. flying pig.... here i come!

8 comments:

Oscar Grillo said...

Good luck and drink lots of beer before the event!

dodo said...

Get back with both your knees and all your toenails in place!
If it were only for 7, the therapy thing, a double chocolate ice cream would do...;-)

pandave said...

what a great combination - beers and ice cream before the event. and after...

thank you both!

Mr. Shife said...

Good luck on your run. I am winding down my training for a half-marathon on May 19. I am ready to go and hoping to do it in about 1 hour, 45 minutes. Have fun and keep those knees in line.

Kristi Tencarre said...

you're great. had me laughing out loud. Esp laughed at #4.

Kristi Tencarre said...

oOpS. it was #3 that had me laughing out loud. and 9

dearcabbie said...

Cant wait till Pandave runs the city. Remind me so I can compose a song for you.

Oh by the way, lets not forget to get you a mohawk, Sanjaya had one, Diddy as well. Think about it.

All the best in Ohio.....

pandave said...

oh mr shife. i have two choices - to hate you for your speed or to admire you for aforementioned speed.

thanks skylarke!

dearcabbie, i entered the lottery. i'll be sure to let you know. i want to hear my song as i run through your hood! fer real dho!!!