Thursday, January 08, 2009

You Are Here ---->

So when I was in high school I faced a big choice when it came to what exams I was going to take for my GCSE - History or Geography. Well, my father and I both thought it was a no brainer but the big decision came because we did not agree. I was looking forward to History; my father felt my future would be better served by Geography. "My dear, what kind of job are you going to get with History?"
"Umm, but Mom has a degree in History and she is working. Plus, I enjoy History."
Apparently he had forgotten but it was too late, "Well, you know what I mean."
My mom gave him a look that probably meant, we'll discuss this when the kids aren't here and made no comment.
He tried to explain to me how practical Geography is and how scandalised he was by my lack of knowledge when it came to various cities in Zimbabwe are. What could I do? He tried to make me happy in life and it was the least I could do. So we came to compromise. I took History in school and took a correspondence course in Geography. I wrote both exams.

Yesterday I was coming out of the gym, which I have been going to for several weeks now, with a co-worker. I took the escalator, took a turn and headed towards the office, chatting away. Then from a distance I heard, "Errr, the office is this way."

Apparently it goes beyond cities in Zimbabwe. It seems I don't know where anything is. I am pretty handy at reading maps though. Once I figure out where I am.

4 comments:

Carla said...

Too funny. Glad you can read a map.

dodo said...

Hmmm... Let's analyze it: Are you sure it was lack of Geography knowledge? Or rather a quite healthy inner conflict between the duty to return to the office and the wish to go for a nice cup of coffee? ;-)))

Prettylyf said...

Ah nolstagia..we had that very conversation during HS for me too. Only hard headed me ended up taking only History. But Geography was such a bore and I really did thrive in History (back then..now am not sure anymore)

I am horrible at reading maps. Yet somehow I do have a great sense of direction LOL don't ask. I remember during a vacay in NYC this past summer my bff had to read the map and lead us there and the irony? growing up my father had a map in each room hehe..I still don't know how many countries there are in Africa..is it ignorance?

pandave said...

oh Carla, so am I. Goodness knows where I would be right now if I couldn't. Wandering the streets of some strange town.

Hehehe, Dodos! My subconscious is very powerful ;-)

Well, Prettylyf, in your defence, the nations of Africa have changed a bit over the last few years and it is not like a lot of people actually take the time to separate the nations. I will tell you this, the nations of Western Sahara is still in flux. But then again, what isn't?.