Monday, January 05, 2009

Strolling Down the Lane

welcome to 2009! and let me tell you, this is the best 2009 yet! you better get in on it, it will be gone soon.

let me share. i found a diary on my bookshelf. it was my diary. from 1990. i was surprised to find it. i was sure my mother had pretty much all my old stuff. i was rather surprised by this diary. for one thing, i thought i was much happier in 1990. i mean, when i talk about years in my life i could have done without 1990 has never featured. i do know that i declared 1991 my best year ever for at least 7 years. looking at my diary i am thinking that perhaps 1991 was so awesome because 1990 sucked so hard. if that is true then it just goes to prove that the lows are essential. how else would you know that you were on an upswing? but i digress.

back to the diary.
  • i crossed off every day as it passed. up until october 20th.
  • my father was my emergency contact.
  • i got my driver's licence in 1990. it was a very exciting day for me. that is one thing i certainly do remember. i remember the tester, even though he is not mentioned in my diary. i think i decided writing about him and his negativity would defile my diary.
  • i wanted to get a second set of holes in my ears in 1990. of course my mother said no. i had to wait until i got to college.
  • on january 17, 1990 i wrote the following: "Gargled with Listerine. I think my mouth is dead," proving that i really never learn some things.
  • every time i went out somewhere, i would come home and list everyone i had seen that day. now i can barely remember my own name when i get home on some days. so, some things do change.
and i made absolutely no resolutions. hmmmm... now, is that something i need to change?

4 comments:

Carla said...

So much fun to take a little stroll down memory lane, especially when you have a little help from a diary. I loved your comment about the listerine.

dodo said...

An old diary is a wonderful thing, it always help you put things into perspective ;-)

I wish you a happy new year, with less listerine!

pandave said...

Thanks Carla - my mouth refuses to toughen up. Now I am wondering if all that gargling is killing my taste buds or something...

You are so right Dodos! It really changes how one looks back.
Here is to new brands of mouthwash!

Prettylyf said...

Diaries are definitely something. Sometimes I read back on mine and laugh at my own silliness, see how far I've come or frown upon myself hehe

Thanks for reminding me lows are an essential because everything seems to not be working out for me lately