Monday, February 23, 2009

Is There Hope?

We have already established that I am not a morning person.  But I think I have been backsliding lately.  Last week, I decided to try out 6:30 am yoga classes.  Not only is this rather ambitious, it is also very challenging, in terms of time.  The class is a 90 minute class and, therefore, ends at 8am.  I start work at 9am and I work about a 40 minute subway trip from home and I have to fit a shower in.  Now that I am typing it all out, it seem a tad insane but thinking it through, it made complete sense.  

So to make this work takes planning.  I have to decide what I am going to wear and pack it in my sports bag the night before.  I must pack my shower gear and lay out the yoga wear as well.  Nothing must be left to do in the morning, except feed my fish, Gandanga.  

I wake up at 6am and head to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth.  I change into the yoga gear, pull a coat on, grab the bags (I leave them near the door the night before) and I walk briskly to the studio.  About 100 minutes later, I am hitting the shower and changing into my work gear.  I make a brief stop at home to drop off the sweaty gear and feed Gandanga and then it is a fast walk to the subway station and off to work.  I am perfecting the art but that is the plan.

Now, to try to keep my body from being traumatised by ever-changing wake-up calls, I have resolved to wake up at 6am every day.  The thinking is that I'll get time in the morning to catch up on life.  Well, last week on Thursday, I woke up at 6am.  God only knows what I did with the time but I found myself rushing out of the house after 8am, with nothing to show for my wasted two hours but sleepiness.  Where did the time go?  What was I doing?

This morning I got some idea.  I think I applied Vaseline to my lips about 3 times.  I forgot stuff maybe twice and I misplaced my mittens and spent a good five minutes looking for them.  Sometimes I spill water while taking my iron and I have to mop up some.  I spend time getting my lunch together - I really should do that the night before.  Sometimes I sit down and find myself drifting off and thinking about how tired I am.  Next thing I know, it's five or ten minutes later.  I have been known to decide to iron some clothes because I think I have extra time.  And all is done in a daze.  

And all the time I wonder - how do people do it?  How do I get to the oiled-machine-get-up-and-go mode.  Most people take about 30 minutes to get ready in the morning - I'd be happy at 45.

4 comments:

Prettylyf said...

LOL this post reads so helpless yet I somewhat know that's not really how you are or feel.

What can I say mornings are hard to get down. I wake up an hour before I have to leave the house. I've noticed I must lay out everything the night before. Otherwise if I leave anything for morning it's an absolute mess. Don't you know they say the morning is decided/predetermined by the night before? something in those lines...

Even my huge mug of green tea and honey spoon is set on the kitchen counter beside the sink. So all I have to do in the morning is throw in a tea bag and water and put it in the microwave. As I munch away the cereal and peruse the newspaper all the while stealing quick glances at the wrist watch (to not get carried away). Once I'm done the tea is cooled down to throw in honey and swig down my throat.

You start ironing in the morning? because you think you have extra time? *sighs* I hate ironing but still I iron the night before. Once you get 'used' to the routine your body has it easier as well :) Good luck

I always love your posts. Sorry I take them and run :(

Simon said...

Wow. Early morning yoga. Very impressive. Six o'clock in the morning is definitely not when I'm at my best.

Your efforts will be rewarded, Pandave!

Oscar Grillo said...

Live by night.

pandave said...

Hey Prettylyf! Thanks for all the tips. I was feeling sorry for myself and then my brother told me that he was trying to wake up at 3am so he could go to the gym. I was all, 3am??? What time do you get up now. Would you believe 4:30? I don't know what he does - he says he takes his time getting ready for the day. That's a lot of time taking because I think he starts at 9. And please feel free to continue to run with the posts. I love your inputs.

Thanks Winters. I tell myself too that I shall be rewarded for the early mornings. That said, I may be up and about but I do not recommend anyone engaging me in any kind of conversation.

Oscar, for years I have tried to figure out how to change the world so that we operate by night. I wonder who thought mornings were a good time for people.