Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Maybe One Can Know Too Much

I have been listening to a podcast called "Stuff You Should Know". I think I subscribed because the title was almost a taunt - I mean, look at me - I'm no spring chicken and though I probably don't know how to learn a lesson, I think there is quite a bit I do know. Any show about stuff I should know would probably be full of stuff I really already know. I would spend the 20 minutes or so of the show rolling my eyes and wondering at the incredible ignorance of the world, while, of course, feeling completely superior and wise.

So much for that.

I found out the best places to get shot. I would have picked the little bit of hair just above my left ear but apparently it is the hands and feet. Some also suggested that being shot through the buttocks ( as in through the left cheek and out the right, or vice versa) is not so bad. Another suggestion was through the cheeks of the open mouth, making sure to not touch the tongue - one would be left with some dimples, but those are cute, right? That said, I am hoping that this is stuff I really never have to know.

Last week, I did find out something I should know. I did know about a huge island of trash, twice the size of Texas, floating in the Pacific Ocean. Scarier are the minute pieces of toxic plastic that are ingested by sea animals. What I did not know though is that there are levels in the realm of plastic recycling. It is an amazing thing and makes me wonder - why didn't I know this? Turns out that on the bottom of pretty much every plastic product is the recycling triangle with a number in it. This magic number basically tells you how recyclable the plastic is. The numbers range from 1 to 7 and the little triangle has us thinking that it is all recyclable. Rinse it out and throw it in a see-through plastic bag and it will not clog up a land fill or add towards the girth of garbage island. But no. Only 1 and 2 are really recyclable. The rest are basically just there to make us feel better about our trash. That's a lot of numbers of uselessness, if you ask me. And all of this so we can sit around telling ourselves that we are good people and saving the world, and meanwhile, back at the ranch, we are contributing to mountains of trash somewhere over the horizon.

Now, because of Stuff I Should Know, I am a shopper with OCD, not only checking to see if the food is something I want to eat but also if the packaging is something I want to throw away!

4 comments:

Prettylyf said...

LOL OCD shopper indeed! What? only 1 & 2??? I feel very ripped off right now..all that recycling. I'm sure now I'll keep catching myself scrutinizing my shopping goods for those 2 numbers

Oscar Grillo said...

To stop throwing away garbage first we need to stop buying it.

Prettylyf said...

You must know yesterday before I dumped my empty plastic bottle of honey in to the recycle bin I flipped it over and the number on it? well the number on it was 2 endowing it with the right to be recycled :)

Hope you're having a beautiful weekend!!! Sending you warmth from San Diego

pandave said...

Look out Prettylyf! It is crazy stuff. But you know, we do what we can.
Thanks for the warmth - it was half decent today. It was much appreciated.

Too true Oscar, we do consume too much. All it takes is a little effort to think about these things.