Friday, April 03, 2009

Do You Dare Look?

i always have too much and for that i blame my mother. i can say that because i also speak of how organised my mother is and wonder i inherited absolutely none of that. but yeah, i always have too much. my mom, she can never throw anything away - she is always convinced that you can squeeze a little more out of anything. i have a pot in the house that barely has a bottom. i mean, seriously, what can one do with a bottomless cooking pot? and yet it is still in my house. so, i can't throw stuff away and, in glorious addition tot hat, i am the queen of just-in-case. to show you, let's take a trip through my handbag.

  • I have a small magic wallet that holds my driver's licence, metro card (for the subway), bank cards and a little bit of cash for small things like a snack, water and gum.
  • I have a large wallet, in which I keep my health insurance card, my doctors' business cards, receipts, change (magic wallet only holds bills), cheque book, extra cash, just in case I run out of cash in my magic wallet, my New York Roadrunners membership card, my dental benefits card and my eyecare benefits card.
  • I have two ChicoBags. One is blue and the other is purple. This is just in case I stop some place for some groceries. Then I can tell them - No plastic bags, thanks, I brought my own.
  • I have a litte mini note pad. Just in case I need to write a little mini note.
  • I have a mini tub of Vaseline, a lip tube of Vaseline and several lip glosses. Apparently I have a subconcious fear of dry lips.
  • I have a mini pouch that I originally got for my change. But that was before I got my current large wallet. Now this pouch holds my AAA membership card (even though I don't have a car), my airline miles club cards and my Prospect Park membership card. Oh and a piece of stone that broke off a necklace about two years ago.
  • Sunglasses - just in case it gets sunny.
  • Hand cream, for when my hands get dry
  • Several different typs of pens and a pencil - for taking notes, and doing puzzles while I travel.
  • My Ipod for listenign to music and podcasts
  • Allergy pills and eyedrops and a nasal spray. To keep the allergies in check. I almost never use the eyedrops because I hate waiting to be able to see again after I have put the drops in.
  • Tissues - just in case I need to blow my nose or offer tissues to a kid with a runny nose on the subway.
  • I mini-case holding my business cards. Whenever I go to a meeting at work when I actually need to give someone my business cards, I leave my handbag behind in my office. So this case is quite full and unused.
  • A case that has clear pockets that holds my Zipcard for when I rent a Zipcar. The zipcar has these awesome cards that unlock the doors just by holding the card up to the sensor on the windscreen. This case also has a tip table, more airline membership cards, and an expired Costco membership card.
  • A clock/calculator that Time Magazine sent me. It is rather unwieldy but sometimes I need a calculator or maybe just to know the time in Moscow.
  • A book of matches - I have no idea why that is in my bag.
  • Rice paper - apparently for when my face gets shiny. My face gets shiny every day and yet I use the rice paper, maybe, once every three months.
  • My work ID - the one that gives me first access to the building, before I start entering pass codes et al.
  • My very super old cellphone that works only half the time.
  • Sore joint rub, compliments of medicine of the people. It is my Navajo approach to the pain in my knees.
  • Nail files for smoothing and shaping my nails - whenever they aren't just breaking.
  • A mini torch, aka flashlight, just in case the lights go out.
  • Herbal tea bags.
  • A book to read (I try to listen to a podcast on my way to work and read on my way home)
  • EMERGENCY CHOCOLATE.

So, I don't have a makeup bag because I have not figured out where to find the space without breaking my shoulders. But I do have my other bag for lunch, sports gear (if I'm going to the gym), extra shoes for work (even though I already have about six pairs under my desk, that I sometimes cycle during the day if my feet get sore), a sweater - just in case it gets cold, and any other extras I need to take in to the office.

I also have a drawer at work where I keep an umbrella, just in case it starts raining while I'm at work, another sweater, a spare charger for my barely working phone, more tea, dental floss and brown sugar.

Now, on the weekend, I try to stop and unpack the bag and seriously ask myself - Pandave, do you really need this? And the answer is always - well, just in case.

4 comments:

Oscar Grillo said...

I really know the feeling, but in my case is the attic, not a bag.

dodo said...

LOL! Just finished reading your post and my back hurts already- all this weight!
Do you know this?

pandave said...

Ha! It may be a fortunate thing for me that I have no attic. I love attics though. They are a treasure trove, Oscar.

Oh Dodo! I am not alone. There are many achy back people out there. That is an awesome site!

Prettylyf said...

LOL wow that's a lot but look who's talking. I have at least 5 nasal allergy sprays in mine, a lot of tissue, like 3 lip balms and at least 2 different shades lip glosses, altoids, the book i'm currently reading, mp3 player, pepper spray, flashlight, small wallet that holds all my cards, business, bank, insurance, cpr card, licenses and ids et al

Interesting post. I loved it (: