Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Kumbaya

It's earth day today and all I have received in my mail inbox about this is a lot of messages about how I can be greener and friendlier to my planet by buying more stuff. I am sure that, if I thought about it for long enough, it would all make sense. Either that or my brain would explode. I am not taking any chances so I'll just delete the emails and forget all about them.

You know, I could get all cliche about it all and compliment Earth on how great she looks for her age, despite all the abuse she has to put up with. I could try to make her feel better by telling green lies about how we all really care and everyone is doing all they can to make sure that she lasts as long as possible; or rather how everyone is doing all they can to make sure we stick around for ages and ages to celebrate her birthday. I could head over to my email's trash, reclaim said emails and go on a huge shopping spree in her honour. But I don't think she wants to hear all of that - I am guessing that is why she made sure today was so unseasonably cold and damp that my fingers could not work well enough to spend the day writing endless odes in her honour.

Instead, a song got stuck in my head during my morning yoga class (yes, I am still going, and, no, it is not getting any easier to wake up, but, maybe, just maybe I am a friendlier person in the morning than I used to be). And only two lines from said song. So, all day long, as I have gone about my day, celebrating the awesomness that is Earth, if you put a microphone in my head, all you would hear is:
Love, love, love one another
We can remake the world

Yup, and it doesn't even rhyme.

And then just as I started writing this, a word popped into my head - Kumbaya. To which another part of my brain responded - but what does that even mean?

4 comments:

dodo said...

This made an uplifting read!

And then, what on earth do i get as "word verification"? cries, my friend, cries! :-)

Prettylyf said...

LOL you're too funny!!! It doesn't even rhyme? and anyway yes what does Kumbaya mean? I tried to green my life and oh what a disaster but mother earth I'm sticking around as long as I can to celebrate thee. Viva Mama Earth. But I still remember you can only recycle 1, 2 & 3? does that help green my life and just this life?

pandave said...

I am laughing so hard Dodo! I am laughing so much I am crying!!

HAHAHA! Prettylyf, you just have to believe that every little bit helps.

Oscar Grillo said...

Came by you (Oh, Lord)