Thursday, April 30, 2009

It Should Be Every Day

Today in New York, is Poem In Your Pocket day.  The 7th annual Poem In Your Pocket day.  And I only just found out.  I mean, I know I have been out of the loop lately, but this is ridiculous.  I have long mourned the demise of poetry, I have often admired those who can string a few words together and create a novel-worthy story.  I live to read a few words that move me to tears, laughter or an ah-ha moment.  And I had no idea!  I am really beginning to believe that I am living under a rock for real.

But, now that I know, I have embraced this day with zeal.  I have produced one really bad poem that I gave to hi-def to carry in his pocket.  I stood in the shower and hoped to come up with something I could share with the world.  I couldn't even come up with a haiku and that's 17 syllables.  

I want to rhyme with reason
In every clime and season
Except, well Winter, I don't know
All I want to do then is go
Huddle under the covers and cry
Until the cold and misery pass by
But forget that, it's now time for sun
And warm rain and nothing but fun
But for longevity I'm thinking maybe a locket
It's not always safe to have a poem in my pocket


3 comments:

fb said...

Wow, you have a rock to.
I guess certain conditions are universal. Hope the sun is starting to shine for you over there.

dodo said...

An absolutely lovely little poem to carry in your pocket!

pandave said...

Hey FB! I hope the sun is out for you over there.

Ah, Dodo! Thank you :-)