Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Be Careful What You Ask For

so, basically, since i moved to new york and experienced the hot humidness with super-long days that is summer, i have prayed, nay, believed that maybe this year winter will not come. i tell you, you don't need to squint to see the manic madness in my eyes, to feel the energy, the need to believe in magic just this once. and every year, without fail, the snow comes down, we get buried in a blizzard or two and then i spend march through may begging god to bring the summer (i tell you, during those months i pray every day, at least twice a day, once just for the strength to get out of bed and face the grey cold).

and now this year? no winter. we are stuck in some crazy wet fall. i need to go out and buy me some wellingtons before i get really sick from the wet feet i have to spend my work day with. and, don't get me wrong, i am extremely pleased that i am not afraid my nose will fall off during my walk from the subway to the office. i am slightly disappointed that my winter wardrobe (kindly purchased by my wonderful shopper friend) has not seen the light of day. and i am TOTALLY freaked out by the warmness. i mean, hell, it was like balmy on saturday. i think it hit 70F (that is something like 20C or something). and so, as i was walking down the street in a light jacket, checking out the folk in tank tops and boob tubes, the manic madness crept into my eyes again. what the hell is wrong with me? i hate the cold! the last thing i want is incredible cold accompanying the wet greyness and yet...

i have visions of the arctic circle melting and new york drowning.

5 comments:

fb said...

Well according to the movies alien invasions, natural disaters of extreme conditions will either fall upon Los Angeles or New York...

That was a gloomy start to this post...whoops.

Take Two:

Happy New Year!

I'm amazed you remembered about my comfort for the wedding, in the end I got a new suit for Christmas...just need more events to wear it to now!

I saw your dress for the party and the wall!

Eric said...

Good thing I'll be safe Upstate for the thawing...

See you when the tide washes you in!

dodo said...

When you get some cold weather, would you pleeeease send me a small piece?
we do need some winter in Athens, too!

sophie said...

i am going to post some welllingtons
for you....:)

pandave said...

haha fb! and you know sometimes i think, maybe i'll leave new york and move to california. what's wrong with me?

lol! how could i forget your comfort, the post was helair. and one i could, i am sad to say, totally relate to. so you saw me being a real wall flower ;-)

eric - please make sure you reach out and give me a hand to help me step onto dry land...

dodos, the best i could do, maybe, is send you one day. that is as good as it gets around here. it's crazy because i HATE the cold and yet i am strangely freaked out by the not so cold...

yay! sophie!! wellingtons, i ADORE! there is a store uptown that has wellingtons i think i will love but... i am the laziest shoppper around.