Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Yeah... I Said It... AND?

i am mad at oprah. you are always mad at oprah - you may be thinking - but that is not technically true. yes, i am not an oprah fan but i only get mad at her when i watch her show. and that's not even really my fault either. no one tells me to watch her when she has her "you get a car" shows. nope. they call me, write me, text me and tell me to watch oprah today because she is covering a really important subject:
down low brothers
aids
a kidnapped boy found four years later

and then she makes me mad. you see, if i just watched the you get a car episodes, she would be like ricky lake and i just wouldn't watch her because i just don't like talk shows really. i tire of folk being deep about issues truly shallow. but instead i have to watch oprah being really shallow about something really deep. irresponsibly throwing around meaningless, unsubstantiated statistics that do nothing more than drive men struggling with their sexuality deeper into the closet and sending african american women into mindless panic. berating a fragile addict because he wrote a book that is not all the truth. well, you watch the news. we know the truth rarely sells - it is all about spicing it up. she broke that man - talk about a million little pieces. i wouldn't be surprised to hear that james frey is in a crack den somewhere, becoming the subject of someone else's memoirs.

so last week, oprah had the family of shawn hornbeck on her show. and yes, i am mad at shawn's parents too. the boy was taken when he was 11 and found when he was 15. you would think he would be in therapy or going through some kind of decomprssion, deprogramming or other appropriate de-ing but no. he was on oprah. i shake my head and try to find words. are there any? are they bloggable? and then, as though she knew i would find out and just to make sure there would be no coming back from my anger, oprah says "OK, I’m gonna go there and ask you, what do you think happened? Do you think he was sexually abused?"

seriously oprah? the therapists said don't ask. i am sure they probably said no oprah either, but apparently, what do they know? yes, oprah you go there and then i have to defend my anger.

thanks.

3 comments:

Eric said...

You dare question the great Queen O?

Yeah, well, brother had the same opinion. Anyway, it's like, what, her 30th season? She's got to keep those folks weaned on Ricki, Jerry, and Sally Jesse satisfied.

pandave said...

i may have to go underground and change my identity, eric...

only her 30th? i thought she was at 50... oh my goodness!!! sally jesse! wow!

madelyn said...

i'm mad too and i love her.

i think that really stunk.

what the ...were the parents
thinking?