Saturday, July 21, 2012

Coming Clean

There is a show that used to be on HBO called "Taxicab Confessions". In it, people would get into a cab and proceed to share their deepest and, sometimes, darkest, secrets with the stranger who was driving them to their destination. Today, I shall slide into this booth here - a surviving peepshow booth from the red-light-district Times Square of yesteryear - and I shall make my New York Confessions. I am going to come clean:
  • For ages, I believed that the subway stop "Astor Place" was where the neighbourhood of Astoria is. It turns out that Astor Place is in Manhattan and Astoria is in Queens. The train that runs to Astor Place goes nowhere near Astoria.
  • I have lived in New York for over 10 years and taken the subway since I got here. I found out, only two years ago, that the entrance to downtown trains is always on the west side of the street. I was with Hidef and wondering why he always knew which entrance to use in order to get on a train (I always guessed and mostly got it incorrect). He looked at me and said, "the downtown train is always on the west side of the street." I asked how he knew and he said, "I don't know; everyone knows." Not everyone.
  • I lived in New York City, in Brooklyn, for years before I realised that Brooklyn and Queens are located on Long Island. How was I to know? I mean, no one who lives in Brooklyn or Queens ever says that they live in Long Island. Also, when you go to other Long Island towns they just feel like another country. Also on Long Island? The Hamptons.
  • I have lived in the same neighbourhood, in Brooklyn, since 2001 and I still am not sure exactly how to direct a cabby exactly how to get home. Over the years, I have learnt how to fake the funk by throwing in phrases like "take Atlantic Avenue" and "if traffic is heavy we can try Eastern Parkway" so it sounds as though I know what I'm talking about. In this way the cabbies does not realise that if they ask me about taking the Van Wyck, I will get the deer-in-the-headlights look and start wondering what I need to say to make sure they don't take me on the expensive scenic route.
Oh my! Exhale! That was cleansing. Yes, I am a New Yorker and there are still mysteries in the city.

1 comment:

dodo said...

Discovering new things around is always a thrill :-)