Tuesday, July 17, 2012

S.O.S!

I find myself at the DMV, ostensibly to renew my driver's licence but, now that I am here, I know this place has more malicious motives. Some evil power forces people to come to this place in order to crush our souls and make us lose our minds.

You enter the space and join the longest line you have ever seen. You join it, not because any signs instruct you to do so but because anyone who is standing appears to be in this lone. You try to ignore the woman who is yelling about how standing in this line to nowhere is going to take up half your day. A woman's voice comes over the announcement system with instructions that you hope apply to you and that you can understand. You have to get it right because, if you don't and you leave the line for the wrong reason, you may find yourself at the back of the long line to nowhere.

Finally, you get to the front of the line and realise that this line to get your number for service. Now you get to take a seat while you wait for service. Yes, you waited in line so you could get to wait some more on a bench, watching a screen, for when you number comes up.

Will they help you then? Will your lost mind even know? Will your crushed soul even care?

3 comments:

dodo said...

It is for educational purpose, i 'm sure: as a driver, you have to learn to be patient ;-)

Prettylyf said...

DMV is the mother of all nightmares. Next time save your sanity and renew it online

pandave said...

That should have been my mantra. New York is constantly trying to teach me patience... ;-)

If I could have done it online, Prettylyf, I so would have. CRAZY times!