Thursday, July 12, 2012

Faux Ne M'Inquiete Pas

The other day, as I made my way to work in my belted dress, I realised that I have changed quite a bit in 15 years, maybe longer.
15 years ago I would have steered clear of belts as they would merely highlight how high-waisted I am and I would be afraid of looking as though my belt was trying to help hold my boobs up. 15 years ago.
15 years ago, heck 5 years ago, I did not wear shorts. The reason for this was that I felt that shorts did not do my chicken legs any favours. Because they split my legs, people would be able to judge my legs separately and realise that they were not as substantial as they appeared in a skirt.
15 years ago, the plan, when getting dressed, was to minimise my flaws. Stay away from anything that makes me look like the short-waisted, skinny-legged, flat-butted (did I mention my dorky stick-like ankles?) person that I am. That was my strategy - a strategy supported by women's magazines that appear to be geared to make every body type a liability.

Now I find, more and more, I see something and I think - isn't that lovely, let me try it on. I put it on and think - to hell with the rules, I am going to make this work. It's great because I live for the day when I become someone who makes it into one of Dodo's blog posts.
Look out red lipstick, mismatched clothing and outrageous hair, here I come! And I'm loving it all!!

1 comment:

Prettylyf said...

Forget the silly magazines after all they are so overrated. Just go for it!!!