Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I'm Melting! I'm Melting!



I was so tired that sitting or lying down was not enough; I needed to just dissolve into the bed. I needed to become one with the bed. I was beyond exhausted.

Yesterday was my first day back at work, after a 6 week break that included stomach surgery. Yesterday was also a Monday. I could have done with another hour of sleep but I got out of bed when the alarm went off and started getting ready for the day. Despite my plans, when I left home I was running about ten minutes late. I walked into my office to find that my carpet had been cleaned and, as a result, the fuse in the wall sockets had blown. My office had no power - I could not use my computer. I decided that this was divine intervention making sure that I could ease into my first day back. However, my coworker felt differently and rustled up a laptop and empty office for me.

The office was windowless and airless and happens to be the office that, rumour says, I am to be moved to in the near future. It is half the size of the windowed office that I share right now and yet I am supposed to continue sharing an office... but I digress. I go into this office and start up the laptop. The laptop goes rogue and, as I am trying to set this up, starts up every five minutes. I also try to connect a mouse to this rogue laptop (in between the regular power downs and power ups) and the mouse won't work. All I get is frustrated for about an hour before the fuse issue is resolved and I head back to my desk.

At this point, my body was achy from being more physical than it has been in a while, but I soldiered on. I got to noon before two members of my staff got into an argument. It seems that they skipped the childhood lessons on sharing. After 20 minutes of their bickering I just wanted to moan, while holding my head, "can't we just all get along?"

At half past three I crashed. It was not pretty. I tried to tell my body that it had to get through only another hour and a half but my body's argument was that it had given me six and a half hours, why was I being so demanding. I can't tell you how I got through that hour and a half - it is all a painful haze - but finally it was home time.

I got into the train and sat down. I looked up and saw my reflection. I mean, it looked like a man in clothing that I didn't recognise, but that exhausted, semi-comatose state was mine. I was DONE!!

1 comment:

dodo said...

A nightmare! :-(