Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Bedtime Cuppa...

a whole week of special editions of anderson cooper 360! you thought i had stopped watching. nah, was just distracted by my man bill, but coop is in africa this week! well in the congo really, but that's africa right? he is there with his earnest questions moving me and depressing me with his coverage of life in the democratic (lol!) republic of congo. and just in case i am not depressed enough by the drc, we also are following stories in sudan. and for those of you who don't give a damn about the people, we have a segment on the animals (mostly the rare mountain gorilla) that are being threatened by the crisis in the congo. something for everyone.

4 comments:

Oscar Grillo said...

Right and just anger, Pandave.Is good you remind people of things more important than "American Pop Idol"

pandave said...

thank you oscar. sometimes i tell myself that maybe knowledge is too heavy for people. american pop idol is all they can take.

but how can you ignore all of this?

pandave said...

so my aunt visited my blog and emailed me her comment:

Rumbi,

I thoroughly enjoyed your blogging. I went in with just 5 minutes to spare cos I had to cook before sunset. Some 20 minutes later I was still there. I read every single one and it got more and more interesting.

My only comment is on the Ivory Coast (IC) blog. What you did not mention is that 2 other African countries, Ghana and Nigeria were approached by the same company and they declined. IC or someone in the position of power gave permission and probably pocketed some good change.

I acknowledge the damage done by the company, however, it is time for Africans to take ownership and responsibility. We can point fingers all we want but some greedy person accepted the little (compared to the damage) money they were given. Either they did not do their homework and therefore had no idea of the consequences or they simply did not care about the consequences.

Thats my 2 cents worth on that one.

Mainini

pandave said...

hi mainini,

thank you very much for checking out the blog. i am going to post your comments because that is the reason why there are blogs (well one of them, i think). from what i read nothing was mentioned about the nigerian and ghanaian companies. and this is how everyone learns more. and i firmly believe that everyone should be held responsible for their actions. and it is does go to show the importance of money over, apparently, all else. everyone has the propensity to be greedy it is not the sole domain of a certain group of people.

there is also a reason why governments should have controls over certain things - like what comes through the ports. everyone should be responsible. how many times have i said responsible?

thanks again!