Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Nope, No Naked Women Here...

the other day i was taking a brain break and decided to google a musician (i had watched him perform the night before). when i went to the tab for images, out popped out a lot of cleavage (i suppose a lot of half-naked women are associated with him - and no it was not moby). well, i thought to myself, i wonder if i too am associated with a lot of cleavage (wouldn't you? don't you?). so i google my last name and instead i see that, apparently, my surname is somehow associated with "turning shakespearean wisdom upside down." hmmm...

it turns out that the article is about my mother (as a woman of substance) proving that shakespeare's doctrine "frailty, thy name is woman!" is untrue. well two snaps in a circle to you girl! represent!! then i read on to find out that my dairy farmer (since 2002) mother is 50 - which makes me ecstatic because it means that i am 24 and my sister is over the moon because now she is 20. all those extra years to make all those mistakes all over again. i also discovered that my father's name is james - something that really surprised me because the man i have known all my life as my father has the initials o.k. i am trying to find the words to broach the subject with my 50 year-old mother. but the article was about more than youth and new dads.

there were all kinds of things in there about women and farming and rights and land ownership and hard work and confidence. and when i called my mother and mentioned that i had come across the piece online she went back in to interview mode:
- oh, i just think that if those women farmers out there who have big and successful projects read about the little that i have done, then they may really value their achievements. they will look and say, well, if mrs b can get recognition for her little things, what more these great things that i do.

well, i for one am constantly amazed my mother and my sister do it. i spent a couple of months in zimbabwe in 2003, "helping out" on the farm. on the days that i could see clearly past my allergy-swollen eyes, in between the hayfever-induced wild sneezing, i was able to look helpful as i romped in the mud in my completely inappropriate pumas. i know my mother was relieved that it was my sister, not me, who decided to stay home with her to help her out on the farm.

otherwise, that article might have been talking about how on point that wise shakespeare was.

5 comments:

sophie said...

i want to go to zimbabwe with you
some day:)

i hate those yucky popups.

pandave said...

sophie, you can come to zimbabwe with me any time. i can promise you this - you will want to go again and again. or your money back ;)

you know what i hate more than the yucky popups - if that is possible? the horrid spyware those popups leave in their wake. UGH!

sophie said...

allright let's plan a trip:)

also you are welcome anytime
to stay with me in Vancouver.

I think you would love it:)

(and we can go to Vij's)

pandave said...

yay, sophie, yay!
how cold does vancouver get?

i love trips!

pandave said...

thanks becks!
yep, reb, those sneakers were really tested.

and, well, i may try to think i was a lot of help but...
i did do a lot of cheerleading!