Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Roar For More....

the day is almost over and it was oscar's birthday. however, i don't know oscar well enough to have an anecdote to share. so i'll tell you about another leo in my life.

"i don't like liars." goodness, i cannot count the number of times my father said that. and as my sore butt can testify, he really didn't. and boy were we trained. i am a sucky liar, second only to my older brother who not only cannot tell a lie but will offer the truth when not asked of him (not a person to ask to sneak things through customs). but my father did tell us a tale of when he once lied.

my father grew up in rhodesia and at a point in his high school career, he was asked not to return the next year. i have tried to find out why but could never get that story out of him. the mystery made him more interesting. so, he applied for school in lesotho and got in but, before he left the country, he needed to be tested for several things including bilharzia. but my father was a village boy, swimming in the dodgiest watering holes and he suspected that he had the water worm in his system and he knew that he wanted to go to lesotho. so, my liar-hating father had someone else take the test. the advantage of being one of the oppressed masses is that you tend to all look alike - cheating is not so difficult.

does that mean it's okay to lie sometimes? come on, ask me if you look fat in that outfit.

1 comment:

pandave said...

lol! thanks rebekit. my father was a truly awesome man - he would tell you that himself.

lol! but you gotta love seinfeld. every time a car honks at me, i think of him.